In the near term, economic development recommendations aim to strengthen and grow downtown retail, with an emphasis on local independent businesses. Creating an environment that fosters innovation and creativity, and captures Grand Rapid’s downtown colleges and active millennial population, is a key objective of the Framework Specific recommendations include:
Grand River Activation
· Strategic investments to activate the Grand River and integrate it into the fabric of downtown. Options
include trails, joint development sites, public facilities and rapids.
Accessibility and Connections
· Support the designation and improvement of several “complete streets” that run through the downtown.
Complete streets principles accommodate mobility beyond automobiles, including options for bicycles
· Conduct a downtown circulation and parking plan to identify streets for two-way conversion, implement
Complete Streets principles and to develop a strategy for best managing parking for the present and
· Promote downtown as the hub of the regional transit system, including support for BRT and streetcar.
Streetscape and Infrastructure
· Promote downtown walkability through future streetscape investments, traffic calming and greening.